Sunday, February 20, 2011

How I Homeschool: Our schedule



(from 2008)
This is a year of streaming and simplifying in every aspect of my life. My constant challenge is to live intentionally and with purpose. I have begun ruthlessly decluttering my possessions, including an incredible amount of unused or gimmicky home school books and curriculum I have amassed over the course of 10 to 12 years. I will share about my decluttering journey in another post. Today is about home school.

I am sharing our everyday home school schedule. Some of my readers, whose opinions I respect as fellow home school mothers, may say, "Your schedule doesn't reflect on your Charlotte Mason ideals very much." However, I view CM as both methods and philosophy. My educational philosophy relies heavily on CM, but, from experience, I have discovered certain shortcomings in myself that require a more "rigid" scheduling, else school isn't everything it needs to be to meet our goals. I should add, too, that this schdule doesn't include incidental teaching, homemaking skills, reading aloud, Bible teaching, and the like, as they are part of our lives, not just for "school."

That being said, here is our regular school day:

8 AM Family school, penmanship, spelling
9 AM Mathematics
10 AM Latin, grammar
11 AM Literature
12 PM Lunch
1 PM Elective readings (history, science, character, biographies)
2 PM Productive free time
3 PM tea, leisure time

Our school year runs January through December, in 6 week increments with breaks of varying lengths depending on the season. I home educate a 12 year old (6th/7th grade), 10 year old (4th/5th grade), 9 year old (3rd/4th grade), and a 5 year old (1st grade). I also have a 1 and 2 year old cruising around. I hope to share our day subject by subject all this week, including what I do with the little people during school. Today, however, time is ticking away and we are behind, so I will begin tomorrow with Family School, penmanship and spelling.

Warm regards,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment